Preventive dentistry is a type of dentistry that focuses on keeping your teeth and gums healthy. It's a combination of frequent dental check-ups and appropriate brushing and flossing habits. Preventive dental treatment is essential for maintaining your dental and overall health throughout your life.
Common Preventive Dentistry Services
- Professional dental cleaning:Professional dental cleaning is the most effective technique to remove plaque and tartar buildup. During a professional cleaning, plaque is removed from the gums and between the teeth by dentists using ultrasonic equipment.
- Comprehensive oral examination: Dentists use various equipment to examine your dental health in great detail. An oral exam will simplify discovering any early signs of cavities, gum disease, or other disorders that require prompt attention.
- Diagnostic tests: If your dentist suspects a problem with your oral health, diagnostic tests such as X-rays will be used to determine the severity of the problem and also develop the optimal treatment strategy for you.
- Oral hygiene education: Everyone should be taught how to brush their teeth and floss appropriately. This is especially true for children and individuals who suffer from chronic oral conditions.
What Part Do You Play in Dental Prevention?
Cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis can all be avoided by developing good oral practices early in life. The fundamentals of effective oral hygiene are:
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, usually in the morning and evening. Your dentist can help you choose the right toothbrush and toothpaste and can also teach you proper brushing techniques.
- Floss every day to remove food lodged between teeth before it becomes plaque.
- After flossing, rinse your mouth thoroughly with fluoride-rich mouthwash to remove any remaining food particles.
- Acidic foods should be avoided since they can erode the enamel of your teeth.
- Smoking and the usage of tobacco products are not recommended.
- When playing sports, wear a mouthguard.
Advantages of Preventative Dental Care
- Preventive dentistry reduces your chances of tooth decay, gum disease, and other major dental issues.
- It aids in the promotion of excellent oral hygiene habits.
- Early detection of dental disorders may save treatment time and expense.
- It allows our dentist to conduct a thorough examination of your teeth, mouth, jaws, neck, and other facial areas to detect any potential concerns.
- Regular preventative dental care is a vital element of overall health for individuals with chronic illnesses.
With regular preventative care, potential problems can be detected early and treated with a minimally invasive approach.
Please reach out to Mt. Pleasant Family Dental in Mt Pleasant, TX, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. O. Please call Dentist in Mt Pleasant TX at (903) 345-6065 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.